Friday, March 13, 2015

Echoes of The Charwoman's Shadow

One of things that struck me about the story The Go Ahead Planet, which we chose for Lost Tales Volume 3, was the dark, quiet, brooding atmosphere of the sorcerer's domain.  It very much reminded me of The Charwoman's Shadow, one of my very favorite Dunsany novels.  Here is an excerpt from The Go Ahead Planet which evokes that sense of magic so intensely.

...I could not know what he was talking about; but I began to suspect that in that dim room with his big black-bound book the doctor practiced some unlawful art...For the doctor turned again to his dark old book and began to mutter aloud, and his mutterings rose to a kind of chant in an undertone.



We want to invite you to A Dreamer's Tales, a community forum for the discussion and appreciation of the work of Lord Dunsany.  We hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment